Fort Walton Beach Main Office: 362 Beal Parkway, NW | Suite 103 | Fort Walton Beach, Florida 32548
Logo Header
Let Our Family Help Your Family
Call Our Firm Today 855.692.4649

Navigating the Waiver Process

As immigration attorney and his team, we get many questions from couples where one is a United States citizen and the other is not.  Usually, these couples think that all it takes is marriage to a United States citizen to fix all immigration problems.  Unfortunately, there are many cases where marriage is just the first step towards gaining a green card.  Generally speaking, if the non-citizen spouse entered the country lawfully, he or she can apply for “adjustment of status” and receive a green card without having to leave the United States.  However, if the non-citizen spouse entered the United States without a visa, and has been in the United States for more than six months, the situation becomes much more difficult.  In these types of cases, a waiver application may be necessary.

In a waiver application, the initial petition is filed in the United States, but the actual visa interview takes place in the non-citizen spouse’s home country.  If the visa is initially denied (as it will be if the non-citizen spouse has more than six months of unlawful presence in the United States), a waiver application is then filed in the home country.  The non-citizen spouse must show that not allowing him or her to return to the United States will cause an extreme hardship to the citizen spouse (or a citizen parent).  If the waiver is granted, the non-citizen spouse will be able to return to the United States with a green card, and will be able to legally live and work in the United States.  If the waiver is denied, the non-citizen spouse will have to appeal the denial while waiting in the home country or spend enough time outside the United States (usually 10 years) so that a waiver is no longer needed.

The waiver process is long and difficult, and it does not fix all problems.  Not every case qualifies for a waiver.  However, for many couples, the waiver process provides the only current path to legal residence in the United States and a future in this country together.  If you would like to know more about the waiver process, and whether your case might qualify, please call us at (850) 226-7092 for a consultation.

Originally published October 2011

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


Contact Form


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.